Casa Fin | Ricette - Italian Potato Salad
||Isa’s (famous) rice salad|
|The Story Behind The Recipe||This is a great
summer dish when you don’t feel like eating the traditional 3 course
Idalian meal. Gabs loves it and it’s Veronica’s favourite.
Recipe's Country of Origin
||Invented by Isa here
|Preparation Time||Approx. 1 hour
|Cooking Time||20 minutes
|Number of Servings||4-8
||400g Rice mix*
1 large onion
1 large zucchini (or 2 small)
1 cup of frozen peas
1 tbs Oregano
1 stock cube
8 mini frankfurters (pork or chicken)**
1 can corn (drained)
Black olives (optional)
Emmentaler Cheese (Swiss)
|Ingredients Source||* I use a 3 grain
rice mix which includes rice, barley and spelt wheat (don’t know if you
can get it in Australia)
** these are not the “red skinned” variety you find in Oz can be replaced with sausages pre- cooked before adding to salad.
|Cooking Instructions||1. Boil rice
for required amount of time according to the packet and rinse with cold
water whilst straining. Drain thoroughly and put inside big salad bowl.
2. Finely chop onions, carrots and zucchini ( both cubed)
3. Put a generous amount of olive oil in a frying pan and fry onions, carrots and zucchini
4. After about 10 minutes add oregano, and stock cube (add a little water as well)
5. add frozen peas. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
6. Whilst cooking the vegetables continue to cube sausages and gherkins.
7. Add chopped sausages, gherkins and can of corn to rice.
8. Let vegetables cool a little and then add to rice.
9. Cube cheese and place in a serving dish (to be served on side as optional extra)
10. Chop black olives (no seeds) and place in a serving dish ( to be served as an extra)
11. Add more olive oil to rice salad and mix all ingredients thoroughly
|Serving Suggestions||Buon appetito!