Casa Fin | Ricette - Reet’s Couscous Salad
||Reet’s Couscous Salad|
|The Story Behind The Recipe||I made this up from
reading MANY similar recipes and compiling the best ideas - started
bringing it to family events in about 1994.
Recipe's Country of Origin
||Mix of Middle Eastern
|Preparation Time||c 1 hour (NB
|Cooking Time||30 minutes
|Number of Servings||10
||1. 2 cups couscous
2. 2 ½ cups chicken stock
3. 700g sweet potato (roasted, diced)
4. 200g blanched snow peas
5. finely sliced shallots or spring onions
6. toasted pine nuts
7. 1 can whole chick peas, rinsed, well drained and pat dry
1. Olive oil – 3 Tbs (even more)
2. Cumin – 1 to 2 teaspoons
3. ¼ cup chopped mint
4. ¼ cup lemon juice
5. 1 tablespoon of honey
|Ingredients Source||1. You can use
pumpkin and sugar snap peas instead if you like - I think any steamed
or baked veges would go with it really.
2. Great for using up leftover veges.
|Cooking Instructions||1. Bake sweet potato
whole (c 30 mins in very hot oven until al dente). Allow to cool, then
skin and chop
2. Blanch snow peas. Not more than 1 minute. Cool, slice.
3. Toast pine nuts.
4. Boil chicken stock
5. Add stock to couscous in bowl, with some olive oil – allow to soak up liquid for 5 mins.
6. Fluff couscous with a fork, using sideways motion, adding a bit more olive oil
(I add some cumin at this stage too).
7. Allow to cool.
(You can prepare all of this the day before up to this step)
8. Add chopped spring onions, mint, chick peas.
9. Add ½ dressing and toss
10. Arrange couscous mix on a platter (or bowl)
11. Put sweet potato and snow peas on top.
12. Sprinkle pine nuts.
13. Drizzle the rest of the dressing over the top.
accompaniment to any Buffet or BBQ