Casa Fin | Ricette - Strudel
Jeffares (nee Defant)
|The Story Behind The Recipe||N/A
Recipe's Country of Origin
|Preparation Time||30 minutes
|Number of Servings||1 large or 2 smaller
1. 2 cups plain flour
2. Pinch salt
3. 2 eggs
4. 1 tablespoon oil
5. 3 fluid oz water
|Cooking Instructions||1. Sift
flour ans salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre and add lightly
beaten eggs and oil.
2. Stir together, gradually incorporating the flour and at the same time adding water slowly.
3. Form into a bowl and knead on a floured board for 5 minutes, pushing the dough away from you as you knead. Dough will be very elastic.
4. Allow to rest for about 15 minutes.
5. Divide into two portions.
6. Place dough on a slightly floured cloth and roll out thinly to an oblong shape.
7. Then place hands under the dough, palms facing down.
8. Working from the centre gently lift up the dough and spread hands outwards.
9. Repeat several times , drawing out pastry until paper thin.
10. Trim edges, keeping pastry oblong in shape.
11. Spread with filling and fold in shorter edges to overlap filling by 5 cms.
12. Roll strudel by holding edge of cloth.
13. Gradually lift cloth so that the strudel rolls gently over.
14. Turn on to a greased baking tray abd bake in a hot oven for 20 minutes, reduce oven temperature to moderate and bake a further 25 minutes.
|Serving Suggestions||Apple Filling:
1. 1 qty strudel dough
2. 5 large granny smith apples
3. 2 tblspns brown sugar
4. 3 oz butter
5. ½ cup breadcrumbs
6. 2 tblespns sultanas (optional)
7. Grated rind of 1 lemon
8. 1 tspn mixed spice
Peel core and quarter apples. Cut into very thin slices. Put into a bowl, sprinkle with brown sugar. Toss to coat well and stand for 1 hour. Melt 1 oz butter and cook breadcrumbs, stirring until golden.
Prepare strudel dough as described. Melt remaining butter and brush over pastry. Sprinkle with half the breadcrumbs , leaving a 5 cm margin of pastry all around. Drain apples and arrange half along the longer side of pastry but close to the centre. Top with half the sultanas, lemon rind and spices. Arrange remaining apples and sprinkle with more brown sugar.
Fold in sides of pastry and lift cloth so the strudel will roll. Put strudel, join downwards, on awell greased swiss roll tin. Bake in a hot oven for 20 minutes. Test with a fine skewer to make sure apples are tendere. Dust with icing sugar to serve.